Services Resumed at Beit Or v'Shalom 13 June 2020
To our valued members, associates and friends,
It is with so much joy and happiness that I can inform you that as of, Friday 3 July 2020, under the latest advice from the Premier’s office, we are able to accommodate up to 40 congregants at our services in our Shul.
Of course, good hygiene practices and social distancing still applies and we are still required to keep a register of those attending for contact tracing purposes. This means the following:
- Instead of waiting to be invited to attend a service, you now need to notify us no later than 5:00pm Friday, in order to attend the Shabbat service, the following morning.
- Every person entering the Shul is required to use the hand sanitiser provided
- Family groups may sit together, but must remain 1.5m from other people. All other people must maintain a distance of 1.5m from each other.
- The Torah scroll will not be carried around the congregation and those receiving an Aliyah will stand and recite the blessings from their place.
- Kiddush will be only wine/grape juice and challah (unless there is a special celebration in which a cake may be appropriate).
- We do not encourage people to gather after the Kiddush is complete.
- No one is allowed to attend if they show any cold/flu or other respiratory symptoms. Please stay at home and seek medical assistance.
Please note that it is of vital importance that you notify us of your intention to attend each week, so that I can prepare the register of attendance, as required by the government. We must also ensure that we have a minyan (10 Jewish adults) to allow for the complete service to be carried out.
If you are aged over 70 or have a pre-existing condition, you must very carefully consider whether it is appropriate for you to attend a service. The Board of Management accepts no responsibility for your personal health in this regard. You should not feel in any way that you are being encouraged or pressured to attend a service at this time, but rather you are being invited.
If you would like to be included on the register for attending services, please email us thru our contact page, with your Name, Address and Phone Number (which is a requirement for contact tracing if required).
Wishing you all continued good health and happiness.
Alvin Maradeen President
To Find out where to join or follow Virtural Services see SERVICES
Shalom and Welcome to Beit Or v'Shalom Incorporated
Beit Or v'Shalom Inc is located in the state capital of Queensland, Brisbane. We are a progressive synagogue, with total equality for men and women, believing that Jewish law does not remain static and that it does not always carry the same value for Jews in different ages. Beit Or v'Shalom is involved in the broader Brisbane Jewish community with members active in many communal organisations. We welcome new members and visitors, with services held every Saturday. We celebrate all major Jewish festivals and encourage families and visitors to attend.
The Congregation is managed by a Board of Directors consisting of honorary office bearers, comprising a President, a Vice-President, a Treasurer and a Secretary and the Immediate Past President and a number of ordinary members including a representative of the Guild of the Congregation. The members of this Board of Directors are elected at the Annual General Meeting.
Beit Or v'Shalom Inc is an affiliate of the Union for Progressive Judaism.
For more information, please browse our website and feel free to get in touch.
Suggested Virtual Service LINKS
Contact us to inquire about our Virtural Services