Beit Or v’Shalom relies on the support and help of our many volunteers. Whether you can help with something once a year or more regularly, we welcome offers from interested / experienced persons to assist with activities in the following areas:
• Lay leaders – direct and run services
• Cantorial soloists – singers who lead familiar and new service tunes
• Torah readers – read Hebrew from our Torah scroll
• Gabbaim – organise key honours and assist the Torah reader
• Shammashim – welcome congregants and visitors and assist in preparing the sanctuary
• Drashot presenters – prepare and deliver relevant sermons.
• Cheder (Sunday school) Teachers and Assistants – guide and develop Jewish learning
• Bar / Bat Mitzvah tuition – prepare young people for their Bar / Bat Mitzvah
• Youth activities – support post-Bar / Bat Mitzvah young people in continuing their Jewish learning and commitment
• Adult learning – develop and deliver interesting and informative presentations.
• Organisers and assistants – plan and manage congregational functions usually associated with Festivals celebrations
• Caterers – prepare and provide food and drink for special congregational functions.
• Website designers and maintainers – ensure our website stays current and attractive
• Newsletter editors – prepare and publish congregation and community news to members and supporters
• Librarian / historian – catalogue books and reference holdings and record congregational events
• Membership and Outreach – attract and welcome new members and keep in touch with those in more distant locations.
• Life-cycle supporters – be a point of contact for families requiring congregational assistance for special family events such as Britot, baby naming, Bar / Bat Mitzvahs and weddings
• Visitors – visit the sick and keep in touch with them
• Advisors – offer confidential advice and guidance to those in need
• Funerals – assist in comforting the bereaved and in supporting Jewish ritual requirements before and after a funeral.
Property Care Team:
• Yard Care – Lawn Mowing, Whip snipping, Weeding, Pruning etc
• Building Care – Cleaning, Painting, General building repair and maintenance.
Please contact us if you are able to assist us with any of the above activities. We are so grateful for the work that all our Volunteers do – an extra pair of hands will lighten the load.